Frequently Asked Questions
Under which category should I apply?
Applications are accepted in the following three categories: health plans, health care providers and communities in action.
- Health Plans: This category is designed to recognize exemplary health plans (e.g., health maintenance, preferred provider, point of service, etc.) with comprehensive asthma management programs that include a robust environmental component. Learn more about the application for health plans.
- Health Care Providers: This category is designed to recognize exemplary health care providers (e.g., hospitals, clinics, community health centers, etc.) with comprehensive asthma management programs that include a robust environmental component. Learn more about the application for health care providers.
- Communities in Action: This category is designed to recognize organizations responsible for coordinating and overseeing the delivery of asthma services within a community setting at the state, regional or local level. The types of organizations that may fill this role include state and local health departments, local not-for-profits and coalitions. Learn more about the application for communities in action.
For more information on eligibility and additional examples of eligible applicants, please visit the Eligibility page. If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact EPALeadershipAwards@AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org.
Are there resources available to help me write my application?
- Sample applications for each category (health plan, health care provider and community in action).
- Past award-winner descriptions in the Hall of Fame and program profiles on AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org.
- The Asthma Change Package, which presents a guide for achieving breakthrough improvements in community asthma care, including the key drivers of program effectiveness.
- National Institutes of Health's (NIH's) Expert Panel Report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma.
Check out the Getting Started page for additional information to help you complete your application, including advice on how to effectively tell your story.
How do I create and submit my application?
When I began my online Award application, I also joined AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org. What does this mean and how can I use AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org?
One of the benefits of applying for EPA’s National Environmental Leadership Award in Asthma Management is becoming a member of AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org. This online Network is designed for community-based asthma programs and organizations that sponsor them—including representatives of health plans and providers, government health and environmental agencies, nonprofits, coalitions, schools and more. The Network is supported by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in partnership with Allies Against Asthma, a program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Merck Childhood Asthma Network, Inc. (MCAN), a nonprofit organization funded by the Merck Company Foundation.
By joining AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org, you will have real-time access to other registered programs and their best practices; cutting-edge Internet tools to facilitate collaboration, problem solving and learning between leaders of asthma programs; and the most current strategies for making your program a thriving and comprehensive asthma management resource. Take advantage of these membership benefits:
- Learn from and network with asthma programs nationwide, including previous award winners.
- Access successful asthma management strategies in the Asthma Change Package.
- Highlight your program’s activities with your own program profile page.
- Post and find local, regional and national events.
- Connect with peers on the discussion forum and blog.
The Network is offered at no cost and open to all community-based programs committed to helping people with asthma live the healthy and active lives they deserve.
I am already a member of AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org - how do I retrieve my username and password?
If you forgot your password, click here and enter in your username or e-mail address to retrieve your AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org password.
I am a past National Environmental Leadership Award in Asthma Management winner - am I eligible to apply?
No, past award winners are not eligible to apply for the award. Federal agencies and national non-profits are also not eligible to apply. If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact EPALeadershipAwards@AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org.
My asthma management program is based outside of the United States – am I eligible to apply for the National Environmental Leadership Award in Asthma Management?
No, only programs located in the United States are eligible to apply for the Award. If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact EPALeadershipAwards@AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org.
Still have questions? Email EPALeadershipAwards@AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org.